4 more days until National Thrift Store Day
Goodwill Industries of Greater New York and Northern New Jersey is excited to promote National Thrift Store Day on Monday, August 17, 2015. All our New York City stores, except the Van Dam outlet in Queens, will offer 15% off storewide.
How do thrift stores help our economy?
Shopping second-hand not only helps shoppers save money, it reduces waste and conserves resources. In addition, buying goods from non-profit thrift stores supports those organizations’ important social-service missions. (NYC Recycles)
When you shop at Goodwill NYNJ, you help to support our programs which find work for individuals with all types of disabilities, youth at risk, immigrant and refugees, welfare applicants or recipients, unskilled or mature workers, U.S. veterans and their spouses, and any person with barriers to employment.
Last year, Goodwill NYNJ provided access to opportunities to build careers and strong families to 95,000 people and helped more than 8,400 individuals to earn a job.
Here are 10 reasons why thrift stores are awesome by Katherine M.
- As a parent, there’s no better way to dress growing kids than by going to the thrift store.
- Because thrift store items are so cheap, it’s fun to experiment with styles or colors that you might not usually buy.
- Thrift store items are typically higher quality simply by virtue of being there.
- Thrift stores are an opportunity to develop your own unique sense of style.
- There are really fabulous finds on all the racks at the thrift store.
- There are no hovering salespeople waiting to make a commission off your purchase.
- Thrift stores go beyond clothes.
- Shopping at the thrift store leads to less hoarding.
- Many thrift stores support the community.
Does Goodwill offer student discounts?
Yes, if you are a student (or a senior or U.S. military member or veteran), the discount doesn’t end on August 17 for you. Students are entitled to a 10% discount Monday – Friday. Just show your ID and ask for the discount when checking out. Or if you are a Goodwill rewards card member, request that you be designated as a student in your enrollment information. That way, you’ll get both your discount and you’ll accrue points. Shop more for less this school year!
What was your first thrift store experience like?
Find a Goodwill store near you