On August 21, nearly 200 students, friends and family members attended the End of Summer Expo 2014 hosted at Goodwill’s Beacon program at PS 149Q in Jackson Heights, Queens.
The students had designated a different movie genre for each of the seven weeks of summer. The theme of the expo, Hooray for Hollywood, helped to showcase the students’ projects and artwork. For each week, the students created art paintings, drawings, and 3-d projects based on characters, settings, or themes from the movies they viewed.
The genres included musicals, sports, children and family, comedies, westerns, Bollywood, fantasy and mysteries.
Some projects include:
- Marshmallow Ice Fortress – “Frozen”
- Styrofoam Basketballs and Decorated Basketball Hoops – “High School Musical”
- Paper Bag Muppet Puppets – “The Muppets”
- 3-D Lego Heroes – “The Lego Movie”
- Camouflage Canvas where students successfully camouflaged an animal inside of another image – “Rango”
- Play-Doh Monsters based on characters from “Monsters Inc”
- Avatar Jewelry made out of beads, Play-Doh and paper to represent the Water, Air, Fire and Earth signs – “Avatar, the Last Airbender”
Families and friends could have their picture taken in the red carpet photo booth when they arrived to the event. Each group created a personalized book for their parents. The event closed with each group performing a dance related to their movie genre.
Beacon Community Centers provide a wide array of educational and recreational activities for anybody ages 6 – adult. The Beacon programs are designed to engage the entire community of the host school, after school, evenings, weekends, school holidays, and during the summer. Activities include homework help, music, dance, cooking, basketball, SAT and college preparation activities, basketball, ESL, Junior Achievement, Girls Scouts, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), service learning, Robotics, Project Based Learning, and much more.
For more information about the services Goodwill’s Beacon program at 149Q provides, please call (718) 426-0888.
PS149Q, 93-11 34th Avenue NY 11372
Latest post from AGoodLook
Goodwill’s Window Sales Are Runway Ready This Weekend