April is National Autism Awareness Month. At GoodwillNyNj we care deeply about seeing those with autism thrive. To support their journey, we believe greater community awareness about Autism is key.
In honor of National Autism Awareness Month and the many people with autism who inspire us every day, here’s a list of facts you might not yet know along with more information about our GoodwillNyNj program specifically tailored for people with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Asperger’s Syndromes – Bridges to Success:
Did you know …
- Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
Our Programs and Services: GoodwillNyNj’s Bridges to Success
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs) the fastest growing developmental disability in the country, very often inhibits individuals from obtaining gainful employment. Bridges to Success is a Goodwill program designed to assist individuals with Autism obtain meaningful employment in the community.
Through Bridges, individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Asperger’s Syndrome learn skills which can help them overcome obstacles and lead self-sufficient lives. To achieve this goal, Bridges partners with the communities and businesses in which these individuals live.
Like Goodwill, Bridges’ business partners believe that every person can become a productive member of society. Bridges participants succeed because along with our partners we focus on participants’ strengths and capabilities instead of their limitations.