We’re officially one month away from Tax Filing Day – are you prepared? If you or someone you know have been putting off tax prep because of financial fears, this may be just the news you’re waiting to hear:
Goodwill Industries of Greater New York and Northern New Jersey has partnered with the East River Development Alliance to conduct pre-screening interviews to determine who is eligible to receive free tax preparation services.
Based on income, Goodwill staff will make an appointment and direct filers to the appropriate IRS-trained and approved tax preparer. All you have to do is call to set up an appointment and put your tax fears to rest.
Through Goodwill’s work with ERDA and MyFreeTaxes.com:
- You will learn about the Earned Income Tax Credit and other credits
- You will find out if you are eligible the receive the Earned Income Tax credit
- You may qualify to receive money back from the government
If you’re ready to file right now and you qualify for free filing (i.e. you or your family make a combined income of under $57,000 a year and live in the Greater New York and Northern New Jersey area), there are two ways to get started:
- In person: From January to April 2013, call to make an appointment: Michelle Reccardo at (917) 428-3963. Be sure to bring all W-2 forms to appointment, which will be held at 42-15 Crescent Street, 2nd Fl., Long Island City, NY 11101.
- Online on your own: Be sure you have all your W-2s and 1099 forms and head over tohttp://MyFreeTaxes.com/GWNY. The site will lead you through the process and help you file your taxes for free.
Don’t forget: April 15 is the deadline to file your taxes. For more information about filing taxes for free, come visit http://www.facebook.com/MyfreetaxesGWNY
Good luck, everyone!