It’s nearly time for the big Virtual Rally led by Who Cares? I Do. We’ll be there, but maybe you’re still on the fence. After all, why should you care? Here’s why:
Have you ever lost a job? Fallen ill? Suffered an accident? Survived a man-made or natural disaster? Or have you ever known anyone who has? There are fantastic services throughout New York to help you should you find yourself or a loved one suddenly tossed out of the economic mainstream. Goodwill Industries of Greater New York and Northern New Jersey, Inc., alone serves over 160,000 New Yorkers a year, through human services and community programs.
These programs and services are in danger. Your shopping & donating is key to our success as a nonprofit helping other, but we also rely on government funding – as do countless other New York organizations out there serving this state’s most needy. These organizations include after-school programs, senior centers, shelter for the homeless, food pantries, assistance for domestic violence victims, mental health clinics, homes for foster children, day care centers, or other critical programs.
Don’t let the government cut into these services! Speak up and speak out! We’re looking to get as many people as possible speaking up for human services in the NY area, over Twitter & Facebook as recorded through @WhoCares_IDo & Who Cares? I Do.’s channels. The real goal here is to get enough buzz going that the news covers the event, putting some public pressure on our representatives before their big vote at the end of this month.
So how can you help?
- RSVP before 1pm today for the Virtual Rally to Save Human Services & SHARE the event with your own Facebook friends and Twitter followers
- Take videos or photos of yourself explaining why human services are important to you – you can talk about Goodwill & our programs, or about any other service you feel is important to life and the lives of your fellow New Yorkers. Again, these services include after-school programs, senior centers, shelter for the homeless, food pantries, assistance for domestic violence victims, mental health clinics, homes for foster children, day care centers, or other critical programs.
- Post your videos, photos and comments on the Who Cares? I Do. Facebook Fan Page from 1pm to 2pm EST today.
- Tweet your videos, photos and comments to @WhoCares_IDo on Twitter from 1pm to 2pm EST today.
- Congratulate yourself – you have taken a stand for the benefit of countless others, and alone that is an amazing thing to do.